Top Strategies to Make a Killer First Impression on Social Media

First Impressions stick with you - for better or worse. And in an online world they can be happening when you don't even know it! In less than a second, people you encounter will have labeled, judged and filed you away in a very deep compendium reserved for first impressions, good or bad. There's evidence suggesting that even before the brain registers gender, it has deduced likability. 

First impressions are fleetingly fickle in the digital world and social media is a playground for snap judgments and quick fingers. Once first impressions are made, they are very hard to change even when people are presented with facts that disprove their first impression. On social media, people probably give you even less time to make an impact than they would if you were meeting in person. You need to strike a positive chord, and fast. 

Here are 7 strategies to help you nail your first impression on social media and turn your readers into your fan base and potential customers. 

  • ESTABLISH TRUST FIRST You definitely do not want to turn people off by trying to sell them something before you establish a 'trusting' relationship with them. Think about using the 80/20 rule -  80% of the time you should be sharing non-promotional content that is interesting, intriguing, fun and inspiring. The other 20% of time can be allocated to promoting your brand and what you offer that no one else does.
  • BE RECOGNIZED You want to make sure that you get seen and heard amidst the perpetual onslaught of saturated content created via digital marketing. You want your audience to recognize your voice which means you need to choose a distinct voice that is pleasing and respectful. You definitely will not do well if you come across as brash, flippant or arrogant. 
  • CHECK EVERYTHING Double check your spelling, names, information, sources, images, punchlines – EVERYTHING! With Google in your back pocket, there is no excuse to spell someone’s name incorrectly.  Always give credit where it is due.   
  • SHOW YOUR UNIQUE PERSONALITY Social media can represent your brand, personified! Always remember to put your brand’s best foot forward – use good angles, strong content, great visuals and hide any mess in the background. The advantage of branding yourself online is that you have time to construct and refine your messaging so that you can position yourself in the way that you really want to be seen.  
  • KEEP IT POSITIVE Observe the golden rule to never use foul or negative language and don't bitch or complain via your online networks. It's not a good look and it definitely will not make for a good first impression. Remember, your potential clients could be (and probably are) reading what you post and tweet. Keep your posts professional, clean and reflecting your core values. 
  • BE CONSISTENT When a new user hits your account for the first time, it should look like a well-crafted patchwork quilt that has been carefully structured and meticulously produced. Consistency is an important piece of the branding equation, so for maximum impact keep your messages focused and ensure all of your fonts, colours, photo filters and image styles are aligned.
  • EVERYBODY LOVES A DEAL Give your audience a reward for their interest in you. Think about ways you can impress them with some extra value. Educate them, entertain them and touch them emotionally. Recipes, inspiration, freebies, knowledge. And don’t forget to thank them for their support!

When it comes to social media platforms, you get out what you put in. Ultimately, nothing pays off like putting in the time and the hard work to create thought-out, genuine, and useful posts for your followers. Even when you're starting small, don't be discouraged by slow growth. If you persevere, you will succeed.  

If you need help to make a killer first impression on social media contact us at Jennifer Grant International for a courtesy consult. You will be glad you did!

Share this post

Ready to take the first step?
Book a complimentary 15 minute phone consultation